Two weeks ago, I released the devlog for the combat overhaul, and I realized I haven’t made a blog post about it – so, here it is! Here’s the video if you have not watched it yet.
In summary, I added the new grunt enemy to test out the existing enemy frameworks, and I also added a turret enemy. The addition of these new enemies helped me to set up an enemy system that can be the foundation for all future enemies, and it was also helpful to test the combat mechanics of the player. I also tweaked the dash attack and the downward dash stab – the dash attack now damages all enemies that you dash through, and the downward dash stab locks the direction to straight down.
I also implemented the dash energy bar, which depletes when you dash and regenerates when dealing damage to enemies. In the future, this bar will serve other purposes, but I am still working out those specifics. Visually, I added blood particles, body parts, and flashes to aid the feel of the combat, but there is still a long way to go until it feels as good as I want it to.
Now, jumping to the present: unfortunately I have not been able to work on the game at all for the past couple of weeks. I had to take the time to refocus on school to catch up in certain classes, and as a result I am very behind with this month’s goals. This week is finals week, and afterward I will be able to continue on the game at full capacity.
The combat demo is yet to be released, but during the week of the 21st I intend to release the combat demo, and catch up on much of the lost time from the last couple of weeks.
Despite this setback, this does not change the release date of January 2022. When planning out the development schedule, I allocated a buffer period of about two months to allow for unexpected setbacks.
Once again, I apologize for the lack of updates, but development will continue as normal soon.